Old Stone Mill, Delta, Ontario

Historic Delta, Ontario

Click on any photo to see a larger version

Stone School House c.1870\n\nOne of the earliest stone schools in the area, built c.1850, it fell out of use in 1876 when a new brick school was built.  That brick school is labelled as the third public school, making this the second, presumably a wooden school (info unknown) was the first.\n\nIn 1879/80, the Old Town Hall was built on this spot, likely using some of the stones from this school in the foundation.\n\nRemembrances of Miss Anna Emily Allyn (1864 - 1943):\n"Where the court house is now was a stone building which was the seat of learning for the village and district, and many eminent men and women received their early education there, sometimes to the tune of the hickory stick. Many are the stories of those school days told by my older brothers and sisters.  The boys and girls of those days may have lived to become ornaments to society and a credit to their professions, but were evidently as full of pranks as those of the present day.\n\nThe First teacher I knew in the stone schoolhouse was Miss Annie Russell; then Mr. McLaughlin, and Mr. Harmon Hunt.  The last teacher in that building was Mr. Edward Johnson, father of Mrs. Suffel."


Old Stone Mill North Face and Millpond, c.1870\n\nThis c.1870 photo is the earliest we have, taken by Roderick Denaut, son of mill owner Walter Denaut. \n\nWe don’t know the name of the people (or the horse), but of mill interest is the north wall of the mill showing the buffer wall, stoplog dam and the level of the mill pond. \n\nIn 1962, MNR built a new dam upstream of the bridge, lowering the water in front of the mill by 5 feet (the level seen today).\n\nRoderick Denaut ran a photo studio in Delta from 1867 to 1874. He contracted tuberculosis and died in 1876.


Denaut Hall and Old Stone Mill, c.1880\n\nThis c.1880 photo shows Denaut Hall (left), built by Walter Denaut in the 1850s (now our Blacksmith Shop) and the Old Stone Mill. \n\nYou can see two birdhouses on the middle 3rd floor window of the mill. Also the three 2 over 2 windows on the 2nd floor of the mill. These were “modern” windows for the Miller’s Room, built for owner Walter Denaut in the 1850s. \n\nEventually all windows were changed to the 2 over 2 design. Restoration in the 1970s returned all the windows to their original (1810) 12 over 8 design.


Delta Singleton Block - c.1890\n\nThe three storey high Singleton Block was built in 1886.  It burned down in 1896 and was replaced by the Jubilee Block in 1897.


Singleton Block c.1890\n\nClose up of the frontage of the Singleton Block.  Note the wooden boardwalk.


Delta Fair Poster 1892 (original colour)


Harness Racing at the Delta Fair c.1900\n\nLooks like the entire Village of Delta was out to enjoy the fair.


Delta Jubilee Block - c1905.  \n\nThis winter scene shows the Jubilee Block, named for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, the year this structure was built.\n\nOn the right is the Albert Gallagher Bank Building built in 1903.


Old Town Hall, c. 1910s\n\nThe Old Town Hall, built in 1879/80, had municipal offices and a courthouse on the lower floor and a Masonic Lodge on the upper floor.  The brick side addition was built sometime after 1897 to make more room for the municipal offices as well as hosting the police services.  A jail was also created below this addition.\n\nThe staining on the brick below the left side chimney is creosote from the chimney which has wicked through to the outer bricks.


Who let a cat walk over the wet bricks?\n\nWhen the bricks were drying in the Jasper Russell brickyard in 1879, a cat walked over several of them.  The evidence of that can still be seen today in the front bricks of the Old Town Hall.\n\nSee our Old Town History brochure for information about this as well as the fire of 1888 that almost destroyed the building.


Jasper Russell Brickyard, c.1900\n\nThis shows thousands of bricks being laid out to dry as well as other clay products such as piping. \n\nThis brickyard was located behind where the United Church and Post Office is today.


W.W. Stafford Blacksmith Shop - c.1890s\n\nLikely 1891 or 1896.  A date clue in the photo a the poster showing Thursday, March 12 - which shortlists the years (i.e. 1885, 1891,1896, 1903,1908, 1914).  \n\nWe see Stafford shoeing a horse, part of a two horse wagon sleigh.  On the left is a one horse open sleigh, possibly one made at the Delta Centennial Carriage Factory operated by Alex Stevens.\n\nThe white building on the left is today's 43 King Street.


Tailor Shop in Delta c. 1900\n\nThe gentleman standing in the doorway is likely Charles Alexander Lafleche (1863-1928) who ran a tailor shop in Delta.


Delta Harness Shop c.1895\n\nThis staged photo is in front of a harness shop in Delta.


Omer Brown Store (originally built by Walter H. Denaut), c.1900\n\nThis photo shows the store built by Walter H. Denaut, now operated by Omer Brown. The O. Brown on the building is a caption on the photo negative, not a sign on the building.\n\nOmer later moved his store into the Jubilee Block.


1858 Almanac distributed by Crawford & Denaut in Delta\n\nThis Almanac was found in the attic of the Hicock house.  This was distributed from the Walter Denaut's store, later run by Omer Brown.  Crawford is George Crawford of Brockville, who went on to become an MPP and then after confederation served as a Senator.  \n\nHe had family ties with Denaut. The brother of Denaut's first wife, Julia Easton, married George Crawford's daughter (Isabelle Crawford).  Walter Denaut's second child was named George Crawford Denaut.  \n\nNote the location shown as "Beverley, C.W." The village was known as Beverley from 1827 until 1857 when it was renamed Delta.  The C.W. means "Canada West" which was a name change to Upper Canada in 1841 before it became Ontario at Confederation in 1867.


Denaut Mansion, c.1910\n\nThis is the house that Walter H. Denaut built for himself.  While generally shown as built in 1849, a January1851 account indicates it was being completed that year, to quote: "Mr. Denaut has built quite the castle on the rising ground back of the village which when finally finished will be a splendid residence."\n\nThe stone portion was used by the Denaut family.  The brick side was the servants quarters and main kitchen.


St. Paul's Anglican Church, c.1920\n\nThis building started off in 1811 as a Baptist Church.  But the Baptists ran out of funds before the church could be completed.\n\nIn about 1827, they sold it to the Anglicans who completed the construction, including adding a bell donated to the congregation by John Beverley Robinson. \n\nRobinson was a prominent Upper Canada politician and later Chief Justice of Upper Canada). An anecdotal story is that Sir John, a staunch Anglican supporter, promised to donate a bell to the Anglican Church (just purchased from the Baptists) if they would name the village Beverley, and so the village was renamed and the church got its bell. \n\nThe name Beverley shows up on an 1828 map where it states "Beverley is composed of abt 30 houses".


Anglican Church Bell\n\nThe forging date of 1826 can be seen on the bell.  This was donated to Anglican church by Sir John Beveley Robinson.  \n\nThe story goes that he donated on the bell on the condition that Stone Mills (the name of Delta at the time) be changed to Beverley.  So, Stone Mills became Beverley and the church got its bell.


Looking North along King Street pre-1929\n\nThe Baptist Church is on the left.  This church was built in 1879/80, opening on December 19, 1880.  An attached hall was built behind the building in 1929.  It's not visible in this photo which dates the photo to pre-1929.  \n\nThe church was closed in 2025.


First Methodist Church - c. late 1940s\n\nA 1941 account from the Kingston Whig Standard states: \n\n"The first record of the Delta Methodist church is dated 1866-67 but it is presumed to have been built many years before this date. The building was of plain type with  gable roof built of brick and the  interior was fitted with a gallery.  Rev. Mr. Phillips was the preacher at this time. The late William Bell, it is said was largely responsible for the financing of this old landmark. In 1888 this building was deemed inadequate by the board and a new church was built in that year. The old church was sold to a Mrs. Powell who renovated it and made a double dwelling as it now stands owned by Mrs. J. W. Russell and still in use by tenants."\n\nKingston Whig-Standard, Friday, November 28, 1941 page 10 \n\nThe car in the photo is a 1946–1948 Chevrolet Stylemaster or Fleetmaster.


Second Methodist Church, c.1898\n\nThis is the second Methodist church built in Delta in 1888.\n\nIn this photo Elizabeth McCue is 6th from the left in the top row.


Delta United (formerly Methodist) Church, n.d.\n\nThis undated photo show the high top spire on the church which no longer exists (removed c.1975).  The church was built in about 1888.\n\nIn 1925, with the union of Methodist, Congregationalist, and Presbyterian churches, it became a United Church.\n\nThe contract for the building was let to Nelson Knowlton of Crosby who employed as masons Joseph Hudson then of the Lake Street Road from Soperton and Fred Taber then of Morton.\n\nThe late P. A. Jackson of Delta was also an active helper and laborer as he culled the brick as it was drawn from the fire from the Johnny Brown brick kiln situated on the west side of the creek connecting the Upper and Lower Beverly lakes. The sand was drawn from this same locality on the Robinson farm. The lime used was burned in an old pot lime kiln operated by James Halladay. The remains of the kiln are to be found on the farm of Howard Latimer. The cut stone for the window  bases, etc., was brought by train from the farm of Nelson Knowlton and unloaded where the stockyards used to stand at Delta Station. The laying of the cornerstone was the occasion of a harvest dinner held on the Denant property just east of J. Huffman's building where the junior public school held their classes this year. The cornerstone ceremony was under Masonic auspices, being laid by Rev. L. A. Betts. Rev. William Henderson of Gananoque was also present. The interior decoration was done by Frank Reynolds of Westport, painter, and decorator. \n\nKingston Whig-Standard\nKingston, Ontario\nFriday, November 28, 1941 page 10


1910 Programme for the Methodist Church\n\nWe don't know who made the notes, but clearly he or she wasn't a fan of the choir.


Delta Public School - c.1920s\n\nBuilt in 1876, it replaced the stone school that stood where the Old Town Hall (built in 1889/90) stands today.  \n\nThe original photo is labelled as the third public school in Delta.\n\nFrom the photos, it appears that the bell used on the previous stone school (the 2nd public school) was used on this building.\n\nLocated at 34 William Street, the building now houses Branch 207 of the Royal Canada Legion.


Delta Public School - 1939\n\nBuilt in 1876, it replaced the stone school that stood where the Old Town Hall (built in 1889/90) stands today.  \n\nLocated at 34 William Street, the building now houses Branch 207 of the Royal Canada Legion.


Downtown Delta c.1905\n\nIn this early 1900s photo looking north down King Street we can see the William Bell store on the immediate left.  Beside it is the Delta Centennial Carriage Factory owned by Alex Stevens (later becoming the Blacksmith Shop of Bob Willey), further down is the Beverley Hotel owned by Anthony Flood which burned down in 1937.\n\nIn the background right is the Jubilee Block.


Delta (aka Beverley House, aka Central, aka Flood) Hotel c.1900\n\nAt one point owned by Anthony Flood, the origins of this hotel are unknown.  An 1861 map shows a hotel owned by Walter Denaut on this site, but is it this same building?  \n\nIt burned down on March 5, 1937 - an account of that is shown below:  \n\n\nBUSINESS PLACES IN DELTA BURN\nBarber shop and Hotel destroyed with Loss of $8,000\nBrockville, Ont., March 5.—(CP)—Fire of unknown origin breaking out in the barber shop of Clive Halladay at Delta early today destroyed that building, with Halladay’s living quarters in the upper portion, and, spreading to the adjoining Beverly Hotel, a two-and  a half storey frame building, destroyed it with its contents. There were no guests in the hotel, a long established building. Mrs. Alfred Kilborn, the proprietress and the staff, escaped without injury. Halladay and his wife were obliged to leave their quarters above the barber-shop in night attire, the outbreak made considerable progress before it was discovered. Assistance was sought from the fire departments of Brockville, Athens and Portland, the volunteer brigades of the two last named villages responding. Through their efforts adjoining property was saved. Loss was estimated at $8,000 with insurance being carried.


Delta (aka Beverley House, aka Central, aka Flood) Hotel c.1900\n\nAt one point owned by Anthony Flood, the origins of this hotel are unknown.  An 1861 map shows a hotel owned by Walter Denaut on this site, but is it this same building?  \n\nIt burned down on March 5, 1937 - an account of that is shown below:  \n\n\nBUSINESS PLACES IN DELTA BURN\nBarber shop and Hotel destroyed with Loss of $8,000\nBrockville, Ont., March 5.—(CP)—Fire of unknown origin breaking out in the barber shop of Clive Halladay at Delta early today destroyed that building, with Halladay’s living quarters in the upper portion, and, spreading to the adjoining Beverly Hotel, a two-and  a half storey frame building, destroyed it with its contents. There were no guests in the hotel, a long established building. Mrs. Alfred Kilborn, the proprietress and the staff, escaped without injury. Halladay and his wife were obliged to leave their quarters above the barber-shop in night attire, the outbreak made considerable progress before it was discovered. Assistance was sought from the fire departments of Brockville, Athens and Portland, the volunteer brigades of the two last named villages responding. Through their efforts adjoining property was saved. Loss was estimated at $8,000 with insurance being carried.


Delta Hotel and Mill Stream c. 1910s\n\nThis view, taken from a 3rd floor window in the Old Stone Mill, shows the back of the Delta Hotel which burned down in 1937.


Halladay Tobacco/Barber Shop c.early 1930s\n\nThis building was identified as the Halladay Barber Shop by Robert Dent, but in this photo is appears to be a tobacco shop.


Main Street Delta - c.1930\n\nLooking northeast down King Street. The Delta Hotel can be seen on the left and the Jubilee Block on the right.\n\nCar on the left is a Chevrolet, likely a 1928 Chevrolet National (Series AB).   On the right the facing car is a 1927–1928 Willys-Overland Whippet and the one behind it is a Ford Model A sedan (1928-1930).


Delta Downtown in the early 1930s\n\nOn the left is the Jubilee Block.  On the right in the foreground is the Guy Curtis store, the Clive Halladay Tobacco Shop, the Beverley Hotel (both the tobacco shop and the hotel burned down on March 5, 1937), the Alex Stevens Carriage Shop/Bob Willey Blacksmith Shop and the William Bell Store.


Delta Jubilee Block - c.early 1930s \n\nThe fist vehicle on the left is a 1928 Chevrolet Series AB National.  The second vehicle is likely s 1928 or 1929 Ford Model A Coupe with another 1928 Chevrolet behind it. The fourth vehicle on the left may be a 1926 Chevrolet Superior Sedan.  On the right side of the street is a Chevrolet and a Ford.\n\n\n\n1930-31 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan.  The next vehicle is likely a 1928–1929 Ford Model A and behind that is likely a 1930 Chevrolet Universal or  perhaps a Pontiac.


Whitmore Jeweler - c.1920\n\nThis photo shows a barber shop on the left side and the jewelry store on the right side.


King Street by Old Stone Mill, c.1905\n\n The Jubilee Block, built in 1897, is visible in the background. \nYou can see two French burrstones outside the mill. They were no longer needed when the mill converted to a roller mill in the 1890s. Then owner, George Haskin (who may be the gentleman on the right), was likely offering them for sale. \nWe can also see the birdhouse above a 3rd floor window of the mill.\nThis photo is pre-sidewalk but now shows a set of outside stairs leading to the door into Denaut Hall.


Delta Flood - March 1935\n\nDelta started to be flooded in the 20th century as berms holding back water from Upper Beverley Lake eroded allowing high spring fresette waters into the town. \n\nThese waters follow the route of the original stream channel which was filled in in 1810-11 with material excavated for the new water channel leading to the Old Stone Mill.  Part of Recreation Drive (to the right in this photo) is on top of that old stream channel.


Delta Flood - April 1950\n\nDespite the older cars (late 1930s) this image is dated to the April 1950 flood of Delta.


Delta Flood, April 1950\n\nThe sign reads "MINNOWS for Sale" - presumably at this point a offering a self-serve catch your own option.


Delta Flood, April 1950\n\nTwo Halladay boys row across the flooded street.


King Street looking north, c.1930\n\nDenaut Hall (left) was sold by Hastings Steele to George Snider in the 1920s.  Snider converted the carriage shed portion of the hall into a blacksmith shop, as shown in this photo.  The sign above the door reads G.A. Snider and the word Blacksmith is also visible.\n\nSnider ran the shop for 16 years before selling it to Warren Henderson.  It was later sold to Gordon Gray.  \n\nIn the early 1960s, Gray had the upper brick storey removed and replaced with a wooden frame storey covered with galvanized steel.\n\nIn 1992, the Delta Mill Society purchased the building using one half for oversized artefact storage and the other half as a Blacksmith Shop, a role it continues to play to this day.\n\nIn the background, the red building is the old Russell store, demolished in 2019.


Delta Ice Cream Shop - c.1930s\n\nThis was the frontage directly across from the Old Stone Mill.


Looking north on Kings Street, c.1900\n\nThe spire of the Methodist (now United) church is visible in the background.  Denaut Hall is just visible on the left.


Looking North along King Street, n.d.\n\nThis colour photo, perhaps from the 1940s, shows the buildings directly across the street from  the Old Stone Mill.\n\nThe old Russell Store can be seen on the far left and the United Church is in the background.\n\nForeground house on the right was the residence of Donald Henderson.  Next was Alf Erwin’s grocery store, later Ken Gray & family residence.  Then Mrs. Scotland’s Dress shop, later Ice cream Parlour and the last house belonged to Jim Sexton (1857-1941) and later Gord Gray.  It burned down on Dec 11th 1983.  Information from Robert Dent.


Delta Train Station c.1905\n\nThis colourized photo shows a Brockville, Westport and North-Western Railway train at the Delta Station in about 1905. Note the antlers mounted on the light.  This was a common tradition is this time period.\n\nRailway service by the Brockville, Westport & Sault Ste. Marie Railway arrived in Delta in 1888.   They went bankrupt in 1894.   In 1903, an American syndicate purchased the line and renamed it the Brockville, Westport and North-Western Railway.  \n\nThe initials BW & NW can be seen on this train which narrows down the date of this photo to between 1903 and 1910, since in 1910, BW & NW was bought out by the Canadian Northern Railway who were acquired by CNR in 1919. CNR operated the line through to mid-1952. \n\nIt apparently didn't have the greatest reputation, BW & NW was sometimes referred to as "Bad Whiskey & No Wages".\n\nThe village had one of the larger stations on the line. It was located on what is today's Railway Street, just south of William Street.


Delta Train Station c.1930\n\nThis shows a CNR train at the Delta Train Station in about 1930.  \n\nRailway service by the Brockville, Westport & Sault Ste. Marie Railway arrived in Delta in 1888.   They went bankrupt in 1894.   In 1903, an American syndicate purchased the line and renamed it the Brockville, Westport and North-Western Railway.  \n\nIn 1910, BW & NW was bought out by the Canadian Northern Railway who were acquired by CNR in 1919. CNR operated the line through to mid-1952. \n\nThe village had one of the larger stations on the line. It was located on what is today's Railway Street, just south of William Street.


Delta Train Station - c. late 1920s\n\nThis photo shows a CNR Railcar at the station.  This particular car was built in about 1925.  It was a more economical conveyance than a steam locomotive pulled cars.  It was an ideal commuter vehicle on rural lines.\n\nRailway service by the Brockville, Westport & Sault Ste. Marie Railway arrived in Delta in 1888.   They went bankrupt in 1894.   In 1903, an American syndicate purchased the line and renamed it the Brockville, Westport and North-Western Railway.  \n\nThe initials BW & NW can be seen on this train which narrows down the date of this photo to between 1903 and 1910, since in 1910, BW & NW was bought out by the Canadian Northern Railway who were acquired by CNR in 1919. CNR operated the line through to mid-1952.


Delta Lime Kiln - c.late 1800s\n\nThe lime kiln was located south of Delta, in an area between today's King Street and Railway Street.


Delta Lime Kiln - c.late 1800s\n\nThe lime kiln was located south of Delta, in an area between today's King Street and Railway Street.


Old Stone Bridge, c.early 1960s - looking west\n\nThis stone bridge was built in the late 1860s or early 1870s replacing the original bridge on King Street, built in 1811.  \n\nThat 1811 bridge had a wooden decking with likely stone abutments.  The bridge in this photo was torn down in 1963 and replaced with the current concrete bridge.\n\nOn the left is the Sexton House, later owned by Gordon Gray.  It burned down on December 11, 1983.\n\nIn the background right is the Russell Store, built in the late 1800s, and had several uses.  It was demolished in 2019.\n\nIn the background left is the Old Stone Mill which is still standing thanks to the efforts of the Delta Mill Society.


Old Stone Bridge, c.early 1960s\n\nAnother view of the Old Stone Bridge (c. early 1870s to 1963).


Parade Bicycles - 1939\n\nIn May and June of 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth toured Canada.  Many places, including Delta, celebrated this event with a show of British support.


Robin Hood Flour - Parade Float - 1939\n\nIn May and June of 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth toured Canada.  Many places, including Delta, celebrated this event with a show of British support including this Robin Hood Flour display.  The Old Stone Mill was selling Robin Hood Flour at this time.


Parade Wagon - 1939\n\nIn May and June of 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth toured Canada.  Many places, including Delta, celebrated this event with a show of British support.\n\nThis is in front of Bob Willey's Blacksmith Shop, the former Delta Centenial Carriage Factory operated by Alex Stevens.


Delta - Bob Willey's Blacksmith Shop - nd.\n\nThis buiding is the former Alex Stevens' Carriage Factory (built in 1875), known as the Delta Centennial Carriage Factory.  \n\nBob Willey operated it as a blacksmith shop in the 20th century.\n\nIt was burned down (arson) in 2000.


Delta Fair Parade c.1930\n\nThis undated photo may be from the 100th anniversary parade of the Delta Fair.  Details fit to the late 1920s or early 1930s.





Return to Photo Gallery    Return to Home Page